Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Steve McCurry

Steve McCurry's images are just so unique. The lighting and color are what make these photos stand out so much to me. I love that he doesn't specialize in one type of photography or another, but that he takes a variety of photos such as portraits and landscapes.

This photo is so simple, but it catches your eye and draws you into the girl's eyes. It makes you want to know her story and want to know why Steve took this photo!

I chose this photo because blue and orange are generally contrasting colors, but they work so well together in this photo. I love the expression on the man's face and how his reflection is seen in the mirror as well.

This photo (and the one below) are from a series of photos Steve took on September 11, 2001 in New York City, New York. The light shining through the window above is so beautiful but is shining on something so terrible.

I liked how this photo captured both the destruction of the towers falling, but the flag as well. The flag is our symbol for unity, and Steve was able to capture that symbol still standing beautifully in the middle of the chaos. I also think this photo is interesting because the colors in this photo are so different from a lot of his other photos. They aren't as bright, and I think that helps give the viewer a somber feeling.

I love how he was able to capture this right as the water was smooth and calm. The value and lighting in the bush on the left, as well as on the sand, helps bring out the texture in both of them. I think it's interesting how the buildings in the background are reflecting over the water too.


See more of his work at: http://stevemccurry.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment